Vitamin D is a steroid vitamin, and belongs to the group of fat soluble hormones which boost the absorbing and metabolizing of the minerals of phosphorous, as well as calcium. Vitamin D for human beings is gotten from sun exposure, foodstuffs and supplements. Those who are exposed and soak up regular amounts of sunlight do not require supplements of vitamin D as sunlight stimulates an adequate synthesis of vitamin D in the skin when it is soaked up by the body. The foodstuffs which include this vitamin are not very numerous, but include the following: fish oil, salmon, soymilk, milk, mushrooms, beef products, eggs, sardines, legumes, and also some fruit.
WHICH ARE THE USES OR BENEFITS OF THIS VITAMIN?
- It protects against osteoporosis in later life.
- It can reduce inflammation.
- This vitamin may work towards preventing the flu.
- It helps the hair follicles grow normally.
- Vitamin D can reduce the chances of getting some types of cancer.
- Vitamin D fights viruses and the like.
- It moderates the spreading of information between the nerves and the muscles.
- The vitamin affects the genes which are responsible for cell growth and death, as well as cell differentiation.
- It may prevent rickets as well as osteomalacia.
- It can be said that this vitamin helps with mortality in general.
- Vitamin D may help prevent depression.
Why do we need this vitamin?
- This nutrient is essential for absorbing calcium and phosphorous, minerals which have several functions, although the function of maintaining healthy bones is particularly relevant, in which calcium has a key role.
- The use of this vitamin might be a significant, as it can provide the immunity system to fight against such disorders or conditions of the body like the common cold, according to researchers and scientists.
- The vitamin can also lower the risk of developing MS (multiple sclerosis). Furthermore, some scientists allege that this autoimmune disease that impacts both the spinal cord and the brain is far less usual in those areas where there is more sunlight, which might explain the link between this vitamin and MS.
- Vitamin D is a regulator of the immune system.
- This nutrient can lower the acuteness as well as the frequency of the symptoms of asthma, as well as the prospects of being hospitalized due to this disorder
- This nutrient might play a key part in aiding the brain to continue functioning well later on in life.
- Vitamin D has also been proven to lower the risk for the development of rheumatoid arthritis in females, which is a lasting disease that produces an inflaming of the joints and the surrounding tissues.
- This vitamin is most probably connected to the maintaining of an optimal body weight.
- It is interesting that a variety of studies and research has shown that those with sufficient vitamin D levels have a much lower wish to develop various forms of cancer, in comparison to those with lower levels of this vitamin. A study carried out in the US claims that it seemed that a deficiency of vitamin D prevailed in patients who had cancer, irrespective of their nutritional status.
- Also, some form of this vitamin might very well be one of the body’s key defenses from low radiation levels.
- And last but in no way least, levels of this vitamin in the body can have a very positive influence on the losing of weight at the beginning of a low-calorie diet.
As can be seen, there are a multitude of gains and advantages for using this nutrient.