Vitamin Overdose Symptoms

Posted by

The very concept of ‘vitamins’ or dietary nutrients is usually associated with health, vitality, as well as energy and general vivacity. Even if we do no more than take in these nutrients frequently, we still may feel as if we are doing something for our state of wellbeing and our health and even good looks.

However, there is such a situation when you can have too much of something good, and thus, an overdose of vitamins is a possibility which can carry with it some rather serious consequences.  However, vitamin overdose is more likely a case with the vitamins which are fat soluble – these being four nutrients, vitamins A, D, K and E – as these are stored within the body tissues and thereby, only small amounts of them are needed.

The overdose symptoms for the following nutrients are the subsequent:

Overdose of vitamin A:

Liver damage, menstrual irregularities, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, headache, insomnia, irritability, skin rash, joint pain, diarrhea, hair loss, as well as various kinds of damage to the nervous system. Also, blurred vision, ringing in the ears, apathy, vomiting, stupor, and even abnormal bone growth.

Overdose of vitamin B6:

Depression, headaches, tiredness, numbness in the limbs, problems walking, reduced tendon reflexes, problems with the memory. Also, problems with the sense of position and vibration.

Note: A specific B vitamin can create an imbalance with the other vitamins from this vitamin complex, if not taken in moderation. Thus, if supplementing with specific B vitamins, such as for instance B6 vitamin to help treat PMS difficulties, do not use it with another nutrient from the vitamin B complex, in order not to incite any possible imbalances.

Overdose of vitamin C:

Kidney stones, insomnia, headache, tiredness, hot flashes.  

Note: Taking an overload of this vitamin for a long period of time could lead to the condition of scurvy, which is a direct result of a lack of vitamin C (needed for the production of collagen in the body).

Overdose of calcium:

Calcium deposits, kidney stones, drowsiness, a depressed function of nerves.

Overdose of cobalt:

Heart damage, and goiter, a swelling of the thyroid gland.

Overdose of vitamin D:

Nausea, weak bones, hypertension, loss of appetite, fatigue, deafness, kidney stones, high cholesterol. Also, calcium deposits.

Overdose of vitamin E:

Hypertension breast tenderness, muscular weakness, severe fatigue, as well as pulmonary embolism, and a slow healing of wounds.

Overdose of iron:

Heart damage, as well as damages of the liver and the pancreas.

Overdose of niacin (also called vitamin B3):

Gout, hyperglycemia, dizziness, peptic ulcers, faintness, liver dysfunction, arrhythmias. Also, acute flushing, and a tingling of the fingertips.

Overdose of selenium:

Vomiting, fatigue, irritability, nausea.

Zinc overdose:

Hand tremors, slurred speech, difficulty walking, euphoria or involuntary laughter.

Nevertheless, the death rate from an overdose of vitamins is very small. It has, in fact, been estimated that from a total of 40,000 incidences of vitamin overdose, only one death and eight major unfavorable outcomes have occurred so far.

But, regardless of the vitamin overdose symptoms we have mentioned, it is likely that large dosages of vitamins can get in the way of the medication that diabetics use for the treatment of their condition. Thus, the best advice anyone can offer for this situation is very pragmatic: it is necessary to read carefully the label on the bottle and remain within the dosage that is recommended by professionals.

In conclusion, perhaps the best way to avoid an overdose of vitamins or nutrients is to get advice about supplementary medicine from a physician, which is tailored to your specific needs and requirements.