Men and women have different vitamin and mineral requirements. Using multivitamins is a perfect way to enrich your everyday diet and include all the vitamins which are probably missing which ensures a healthy life. The use of multivitamins is especially important for women because of certain factors like, pregnancy, menstruation, menopause, and so on. So, order to function properly, a woman’s body requires all the main vitamins to be present in the diet. On the other hand, a great number of women are on some type of diets or they are too busy to have a healthy and balanced diet so there are certainly some nutrients gaps which should be filled in.
According to the stage of life the vitamin requirements change and there is a high risk of some type of vitamin deficiency and health problems. So you may ask what multivitamins for women should contain. Take a look at the following image.
So in the next few paragraphs we are going to see what multivitamins are best for women at certain age.
Best Multivitamins for Women in Their 20s
This is the age when women take special care about their health and beauty. This is the reason why the bets multivitamins for women in their 20s are those loaded with vitamin E, vitamin D, Folic Acid, Calcium and Iron.
- Vitamin E. This is an excellent vitamin for the skin, hair and nails. It is a great antioxidant and some studies have shown that it prevents certain types of cancers.
- Vitamin D. According to recent studies prevents about 17 types of cancer including breast cancer. This is very important for women of all ages not only young women. It also reduces PMS problems.
- Folic Acid. Young women often plan to get pregnant in their 20s and in some cases their pregnancy is unplanned. Taking multivitamins with folic acid will reduce the risk of neural tube defect in babies and prevent possible birth defects.
- Calcium. It is never too late to take care about your bones. Calcium is simply the best when it comes to building strong bones.
- Iron. Iron is very important for women because they lose iron through menstruation. Losing too much iron may lead to iron deficiency anemia which can cause fatigue, short breath, headaches, poor concentration, etc.
Best Multivitamins for Pregnant Women
Pregnant women have to increase their vitamin and mineral intake because their unborn baby is using all the possible resources. That is why pregnant women have to take the best multivitamins. Folic acid and iron are most important at this stage. We have to include Vitamin A in this group, but a special attention has to be paid because of its side effects when too much Vitamin A is included in the diet.
Best Multivitamins for Women in their 40s
This is the age when women have to pay special attention to their health. Any type of deficiency in this stage can result is serious health complications, and this is the reason why multivitamins have to be taken. The most important vitamins for women in their 40s are: Vitamin B12, Vitamin A, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, and Folic Acid. Of course a healthy and balanced diet along with the use of multivitamins will fulfill all the vitamin and mineral requirements.
Best Multivitamins for Women in Menopause
Huge hormonal changes happen in this stage. Women in menopause lose huge amounts of iron so it has to be supplemented. Calcium and vitamin D are also important for healthy bones and osteoporosis prevention. Folic acid is vital for women of all ages and we don’t have to mention why it has to be included in the multivitamins.
How to Choose the Right Multivitamin for Women?
When you have to decide which multivitamins for women to choose there are several things you have to be aware of.
- You need multivitamins especially formulated for women. By doing this you can be sure that the multivitamins you are going to use will help you the most. Thus step is also important because the nutritional requirements of men and women are different.
- If possible check the absorption rate. This is important because certain types of multivitamins are not absorbed well and they are being released from the body without reaching its full effect.
- Make sure you are buying multivitamins produced by a reputable company and always check if there is a USP or DSVP stamp on the multivitamin bottle. The stamp verifies that the content on the label is accurate.