As a very important part of the human diet, vitamins are beneficial for both the health and beauty. When it comes to vitamin E, it is extremely good for the skin and hair. Vitamin E is an antioxidant and it is usually taken through food or various supplements as well as while using different beauty products, especially those for the skin and nails.
WHAT ARE THE TRUE BENEFITS OF VITAMIN E?
In a number of cases, vitamin E can help you preserve your health and beauty. Here are some of the benefits of vitamin E:
- As a strong antioxidant, it prevents premature aging and can be found as a key ingredient in the majority of anti-aging creams and lotions.
- Wrinkles which appear due to improper skin care, smoking and drinking alcohol, as well as a consequence of the aging process, are also successfully treated with vitamin E. It blocks free radicals from damaging cells, boosts collagen and elastin production and supports the growth of new skin cells and thus stops the formation of wrinkles.
- When vitamin E is applied to brown spots on the skin, it lightens the skin by encouraging cell regeneration.
- Vitamin E oil provides the necessary moisture for the skin and prevents water loss but it is advisable to use it as a bedtime therapy, since it is sticky and thick. It can also restore the normal oil balance of the skin.
- Scars that come from burns, wounds and surgeries can be treated with vitamin E, as it goes under the skin and blocks the free radicals that are harmful to scar tissue. The skin becomes softer and the scar becomes lighter in a few weeks and in a few months it can even disappear.
- Minor sunburns are successfully treated with vitamin E oil, applied topically. The oil can be also found as an ingredient in sun creams.
- Pregnant women should use vitamin E oil, rubbing it gently on their stretch marks in order to make them less visible and to prevent new ones.
- Some skin conditions such are psoriasis and eczema can be successfully treated with Vitamin E oil.
- Nowadays, vitamin E is an important ingredient of many shampoos and hair products since it is highly beneficial for hair and hair growth. It also keeps your hair from becoming gray.
- A few drops of vitamin E oil, when directly applied on nails and cuticles, can smooth them and prevent new cracks.
- People who consume foods rich in vitamin E are at a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
- Vitamin E can be also helpful in treating amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, since it is well known that oxidants play a very important role in the development of ALS.
- Some studies indicate that vitamin E can even protect against cataracts.
- Vitamin E also plays a role in the prevention and treatment of some types of cancer, but it is worth noting that high doses over an extended period may be responsible for speeding up the development of latent cancers.
- Various heart diseases can be prevented or treated with the help of vitamin E.
- Women who take vitamin E a few days a month can get some relief from menstrual cramps.
- Consumption of vitamin E is also very important for men, as it can boost the libido and what is more important, improve sperm motility.
HOW TO GET MAXIMUM BENEFITS FROM VITAMIN E?
The best way to take your vitamin E is through food and not through supplements. Foods that are particularly rich in vitamin E are sunflower seeds, almonds, Swiss chard, spinach, papaya, turnip greens, asparagus, mustard greens, collard greens, broccoli, bell peppers, wheat and oils. When it comes to vitamin E oil, it should be used twice a day, in the morning and at night before going to bed but after showering. Vitamin E does not need to be taken every day, as it is fat soluble. Daily doses of vitamin E should not be bigger than 400 international units.